Thursday, May 24, 2012

now serving in Fort Payne





Hi y'all

I got transferred and I am now serving in Fort Payne.  It is about 2 1/2 hours northeast of where I was serving in Hueytown.   My mission also covers some of Georgia.  We only have a small branch here of about 35-40 people so there is lots of work to do. When the Baptist in Fort Payne heard that the Mormons were building a temple in Birmingham, they built a massive cross in Fort Payne.    My companion is from California and will be going home next transfer.  He is a great companion.  One of the first things I was able to do while in Fort Payne was go to the Birmingham Temple and witness a temple sealing of a family that my companion taught a year ago.  They had a little baby sealed to them too.  It was way sweet.

A lady that we were teaching in Hueytown for a while committed to baptism after I was transferred. She called and asked if I could come back and speak at her baptism.  I had to get special permission from the Mission President where it was out of my area.  So on Saturday, May 12th we had 2 baptisms in Fort Payne.  They were a young married couple that Elder James had been teaching for a while. Then we took off and drove 2 1/2 hours to the Bessemer ward to be there for Sister Reed's baptism.  I was honored she ask me to speak.  It was a very very long day, but a really great day.  Her husband was a member, but not active and she was a Methodist and had been taught by many different missionaries, but just wasn't ready yet.  We taught her and I guess she couldn't fight it anymore.  I am so happy for her.

The area in Fort Payne is very spread out and we have to bike everywhere.  In the first week and a half, I lost 10 lbs! We live 10 miles from the church.  No one in our branch can play the piano, so we have a player piano to sing to.

I am so grateful that I came on a mission and I am so happy that I am serving here in Alabama.

Thank you for all the support you give me.

Elder Gentry Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment